Pacio Vs. Silva, Plus Folayang’s Return Confirmed For Manila
ONE Championship is already looking ahead to the new year.
The world’s largest martial arts organization recently announced the entire card for its first show of 2020, and now, the main event and full bout listing has been revealed for its second live event.
On Friday, 31 January, the promotion will make its return to the Mall Of Asia Arena in Manila, Philippines with ONE: FIRE & FURY.
In the headline attraction, ONE Strawweight World Champion Joshua “The Passion” Pacio will put his gold on the line against former titleholder Alex “Little Rock” Silva.
Pacio’s recent performances have been impeccable.
After losing his belt to Yosuke “The Ninja” Saruta via split decision in January 2019, the Baguio City native knocked out the Japanese athlete in the fourth round of their April rematch to reclaim his crown.
Then, in November, the 23-year-old successfully defended his coveted title by submitting his compatriot and top contender Rene “The Challenger” Catalan via arm-triangle choke in the second round.
The Team Lakay superstar has looked slicker and more versatile with every outing, and he continues to solidify his status as the best strawweight in the world.
- Joshua Pacio’s Extraordinary Journey To The ONE Strawweight World Title
- Alex “Little Rock” Silva Has Big Plans To Be The Best
- How Eduard Folayang Met His Wife Through Martial Arts
However, Silva has also operated in the upper echelon of the division for many years.
The Brazilian originally won the ONE Strawweight World Championship when he defeated the weight class’ former king, Yoshitaka “Nobita” Naito, back in December 2017. Although he lost the belt in his first title defense five months later, “Little Rock” has remained a top contender.
Despite suffering a pair of narrow decision losses in the bouts to follow, Silva returned to the winner’s circle in August by becoming the first person to finish – and submit – Stefer “The Lion” Rahardian via armbar.
The 37-year-old followed that up by defeating Chinese sensation Peng Xue Wen via rolling armbar in the second round to earn his crack at the Team Lakay superstar in the Philippine capital next month.
Also making his return to action is multiple-time ONE Lightweight World Champion Eduard “Landslide” Folayang.
The Filipino icon and wushu star closed 2019 with a second-round technical decision victory over Mongolian hard-hitter Amarsanaa “Spear” Tsogookhuu in November.
Now, the 36-year-old Team Lakay veteran is excited to kick off the new decade in style and thrill all of his countrymen inside the Mall Of Asia Arena with an explosive performance.
However, Ahmed “Wolverine” Mujtaba is eager to spoil his homecoming and make a name for himself in the lightweight division.
The 26-year-old Pakistani is moving up a weight class and hopes to breathe new life into his mixed martial arts career by finishing a legend.
The rest of the card will feature more World Champions, international superstars, and national heroes.
Here is the current bout listing for ONE: FIRE & FURY.
- Joshua Pacio vs. Alex Silva (ONE Strawweight World Title)
- Eduard Folayang vs. Ahmed Mujtaba (mixed martial arts – lightweight)
- Danny Kingad vs. Xie Wei (mixed martial arts – flyweight)
- Petchdam Petchyindee Academy vs. Kohei Kodera (ONE Super Series Muay Thai – flyweight)
- Kwon Won Il vs. Shoko Sato (mixed martial arts – bantamweight)
- Alma Juniku vs. Anne Line Hogstad (ONE Super Series Muay Thai – women’s atomweight)
- Lito Adiwang vs. Pongsiri Mitsatit (mixed martial arts – strawweight)
- Gina Iniong vs. Asha Roka (mixed martial arts – women’s atomweight)
- Rodlek PK.Saenchaimuaythaigym vs. Chris Shaw (ONE Super Series Muay Thai – bantamweight)
- Jomary Torres vs. Jenny Huang (mixed martial arts – women’s atomweight)
Read more: Joshua Pacio Reveals Why He Can Now Call Himself ‘World Champion’